Friday, February 20, 2015




Maternity Leave Here I Come...

   Today is a big day!!!!!  It's my last day of work until Owen and McKenna are born and its sonogram day with Dr. Rhinehart. I spent the day trying to tie up loose ends, get everything ready for my sub, make my desk presentable, and make sure people know where important things are while I'm gone. My boss couldn't have been better about the news I was going on bedrest.  She sent out a sweet email to our staff that just warmed my heart and further made me believe Luna is the right place for me.  1:30 rolled around and I said my good-byes and gave my hugs and I was headed to Rhinehart. 
   When I arrived it wasn't very crowded which was great.  I only waited about 15 minutes and then the nurse came and called me...along with several other ladies.  I remember thinking, wow, they must have just had an influx of techs come off lunch but then I realized they were sending all of us into the same room. I came into the room last and it was 4 recliners with a woman in each chair and the nurses were attaching monitors to everyone's belly.  I was immediately panicking.  I kept asking what was happening and all these women I had never met are just lifting up their shirts and they all seemed clearly aware of what was going on.  Finally, one of them looked at me and said "they are just monitoring your baby for movement...it happens everytime you are here after 32 weeks." They were all 37 weeks or more so we chatted for the 6-7 minutes of monitoring and the nurses came in and started unhooking everyone and I was left there on my own...again, panicking. But the nurse came in and told me they always monitor twins for a little longer because its harder to track 2.  Finally, I was unhooked and in a room. I got the sweetest technician, I have had her before and she is a sweetheart!! This was the first time I was ridiculously uncomfortable on the table...like, I had to stop midway to sit up and breathe because I was getting lightheaded. They both looked wonderful and weighed in at.....4 pounds 9 ounces (Owen) and 4 pounds 6 ounces (McKenna)!!!!  Chunky monkeys!!! Owens head is still large and McKenna's belly is still fat. She also said she could see hair on Owen and then McKenna decided to roll into PERFECT position for her to get some 2D pictures.  She immediately switched wands and started doing close ups of McKenna's face...
                       


Look at that button nose!  Those fat cheeks! Those lips!!!!

   I think she looks like her daddy!!! It was so nice to see her face....I feel like she has always been hiding or facing the wrong way and we have tons of pics of Owen but finally, my baby girl!!! Even the technician kept saying how adorable she was....proud mama moment!!!!  She took a zillion photos of her and recorded the sonogram for me and went to get Rhinehart.  He came in and was wonderful as usual...his first words were "whatcha worried about right now...whats on your mind?"  and I said, "well, paying for two college educations"!!!!  We laughed but I told him that I am not really worried about anything at this point, I'm just anxious. We discussed that I was starting bedrest and he said it was very important for me to really listen to my body and not do anything that my body told me not to.  Especially in regards to my back..that a lot of moms wrench their backs at this time in pregnancy because of not truly understanding what kind of weight they are carrying around.  He also told me they look wonderful and that if something were to happen and I were to go into labor at this point he sees no reason why they would have any long term issues or complications. He said that they have to do three things to determine when they leave the hospital.  They have to be able to regulate their own body temperature, breathe on their own, and know how to suck/eat. He said that body temperature and eating are very size contingent and since I am carrying baby elephants I am already ahead of the curve. (He didn't say the elephant part...that was from their mama!)  He helped me up and he also wants to see me every week from here on out...I made my next appointment and I was out of there! 
   So, I;m officially on bedrest and heading to the doctor weekly now.  On my way home, I stopped at the bank and went in to make a withdrawal. This is my normal bank so the tellers are all familiar with me and the lady helping me asked me when I was due.  I said "I have about 5 more weeks" and she said "you look very large to still have that much time left..." and I said "oh its twins..." and I wanted to follow up with "but thanks for telling me I am the most gigantically, enormous thing you have seen all day...preciate it"...
   33 days.....

No comments:

Post a Comment