Wednesday, January 7, 2015

26 Weeks & Some Observations

   I passed my glucose screen!  YAY!!  A lot of people talked about hating it and it being awful etc. and I just didn't think it was that bad.  I mean, I'm not going out and buying that nasty drink to serve at parties or anything but for a quick little 5 minute chug...no biggie. Here is how I LOOK at the 26 week mark...



LORD.HAVE.MERCY...

   Things I have noticed recently:

1)  I can no longer tie my shoes, Mason must help me with this.  In addition, getting boots on is difficult as well.  I have to kind of swing them out and hope my foot lands in them and then try to zip them up.  So, if you see me in flip flops mid February its because no one was at home to help me with my shoes.
2) I.DROP.EVERYTHING.  And of course, it has become harder and harder and nearly impossible to bend over to pick things up.  Result, lots of random things are just on the floor hanging around my house. 
3)  My belly HITS everything.  I turn around and stuff flies off my desk. I have cut corners too close and this belly hits the wall.  
4)  I take a long, hot soak in the tub almost every other night because my back and ribs hurt so bad.  I can no longer get out of the tub on my own.  I have to text Mason or yell for him and he has to come get me.  
5)  I am CONSTANTLY OUT OF BREATH.  Rolling over in the bed = wheezing fit.  Walking down the hall = must lean on wall and catch breath.  Talking too much = head back, eyes closed trying to catch breath.
6)  I can no longer use my foot to flush the toilet.  I do NOT touch the handles in public bathrooms, I use my foot and push it down gently.  Because I am a plumbers daughter and he has warned me of the dangers of "kicking" the toilet handle, I am very careful.  I can no longer do this.  I discovered that one day at Costco when I went to "tap" the handle with my left foot and fell backwards into the stall door and my foot never even made it halfway off the ground. I actually started laughing and then couldn't decide what body part to use to touch the handle. I settled on my elbow...this has been serving me well ever since. 
7)  Owen kicks me all the time.  At night. During the day. In the morning. you name it, he' s moving around in there.  McKenna, not so much.  She will give me a flutter here and there but I am convinced maybe her brother has kicked her so hard she's decided staying still and hoping he doesn't remember she is there is a better practice. 
8)  Sleeping has become a sports activity.  I need 459845 pillows; one for under my belly, one for between my legs, one for under my head, one for behind my back.  I get them all arranged and situated amidst Mason's cries of "you're stealing all the covers" and flop down into my cocoon I have created (out of breath) and lay there for approximately 4-6 minutes until I am uncomfortable and its time to flip over.  This happens a minimum of 489 times a night. 

    What I am noticing more and more are my limitations.  I get it, I'm carrying a litter, clearly this should mean some adjustment to my life and my activities and I know its not forever. But still...somedays its really hard to take.  I am a mover and a doer, I am organized and I rarely let things slip by me, I am a planner and I do not like to ask for help....all of these things are out the window...for now I hope. I remember nothing, my response to "do you want to _____?" is most likely going to be "no, I would rather nap" and I have to have help sitting up in my own bed. I am fortunate to have a wonderfully supportive husband who doesn't mind helping me but continually reminds me he "can't read my mind" which forces me to use the words "I need help" which is hard. Again, I think this is all God's fun little joke to help me learn to slow down, ask for help, and rely on others as I can see that still happening when the twins are born. And thank GOD he has surrounded me with people who are ready, willing, and excited to step in!  
   Baby shower this weekend, Drs. appointment next week, and long weekend after that.  If you need me, I'll probably be napping....

No comments:

Post a Comment