Friday, December 5, 2014

Doctors Appointment and Sonogram

    YAY YAY YAY!  I LOVE sonogram days and I am very blessed because I get one every 4 weeks.  I was solo today because Mason is trying to save up every available minute of work time to take off with me for the full two weeks at Christmas and then to have as much time as possible when the twins are born. I headed to see Dr. Richards at 2:30 and had Dr. Rhinehart at 3:15 so I knew it would be a squeeze but it ended up being fine.  Urine sample was fab.  My weight, HOLY MOSES 10 pound gain in 4 weeks!!!  I nearly fell over.  I really haven't gained a lot of weight this pregnancy at all because I was so sick at the beginning and every food imaginable sounded sickening to me, CLEARLY, I am making up for lost time. In all, I have still only gained about 20 pounds but I was probably not as thin as I should have been when I got pregnant (whoops!) and I like Whataburger again so we may have a problem on our hands!  Dr. Richards came in to find me laying on the table because that's all that is comfortable these days and he told me "don't get up" but then I felt weird talking to him laying down like he was my shrink or something so I sat up.  We discussed the pain under my ribcage and how it goes between burning and numb and he said "oh, that's your nerves tearing apart as your muscles and skin stretch to hold the babies but don't worry it should go away as the nerves just die"....AWESOME.  He also agreed with the on call from the doctor the other night that the back pain is "positional" meaning it gets worse or better depending on how I am sitting/standing/laying etc. which doesn't indicate kidney or bladder.  He said it could be gallstones/gallbladder and now I am wondering why I didn't ask more questions about how we would determine that, but, that more than likely its all the fabulous ROUND LIGAMENT pain and stretching, ripping, and tearing to accommodate TWO people.  I don't know how dogs have litters of puppies, this business is insane. Before I left I got my instructions for my glucose/diabetes test that I take next appointment (in 4 weeks) and then after that appointment I start seeing him every 2 weeks...AKA stuff starts to get real.  He said on the next appointment he will start lecturing me about taking classes etc. and I told him I already toured the hospital and had a plan to tour the NICU and he looked pleasantly surprised...raise your hand if you are Type A....oh me, me, me, me!  I paid my monthly payment, scheduled my next appointment for January 2nd and I was off to Rhinehart!
  I do love sonogram day, however, Dr. Rhinehart's office has two speeds, slow and stopped.  I have yet to go in there and wait less than 25-30 minutes for my appointment.  This time did not disappoint...30 minutes and I finally got called back.  I had a new technician who I loved and she totally talked/joked with me the whole time.  She started on Owen's side (my left) and showed me how he was positioned, took measurements of his head (giant) and told me he weighed 1 POUND 2 OUNCES.  My app for this week says babies are measuring in at about 11 ounces...holy night!  As she was continuing to pan over my belly and take several measurements, show me blood flow, kidneys, teeny tiny bladder etc. I said "what is that thing that's flapping on the screen" and she laughed and said, "well, those are his boy parts".  That's my boy, ladies and gentleman...flapping his business to the camera the ENTIRE time...I told the tech "his father would be so proud".  After she finished Owen she moved over to McKenna who was either asleep or not interested in cooperating so she had to prod my belly several times to get her to wake...so enjoyable for me, let me tell you. The first thing she noticed were her legs were "firmly crossed at the ankles" so her brother is an exhibitionist and she's a lady, mama's so proud!  Finally she was able to get her measurements etc. and she weighed in at 1 POUND 1 OUNCE. Both babies are above average for weight again and I started telling the technician about a friend of mine who recently took her twins home from the hospital in preemie outfits.  She looked at me and said, "don't go buying no preemie clothes, you are gonna have big, juicy, healthy babies"! Music to my ears but I know they will get to a point where they outgrow my belly and that will probably slow down their growth but I would be ok with some 7 pound babies!  She also told me to take back newborn diapers, oy, but I am gonna wait on that.  They looked WONDERFUL!  Owen is head down, McKenna was head up however, when the doctor came in to go over what the tech had found McKenna had flipped and was head down too..and I felt nothing!  Crazy!  The pictures of McKenna weren't good at all but they got a great profile shot of Owen...


Look at the size of that head!


Best she could get of McKenna...


The doctor took this one when he came in...both head down!

  I asked the doctor if I looked like I was having any cervical issues etc. and he said no.  He called this our "second anatomy scan" and said that from here on out we just want them to gain weight.  So I take that to mean that all parts are present and accounted for; 4 heart chambers, bladders, kidneys, etc. so I left feeling fabulous especially after my fall and getting to know they were healthy and fine.  I called Mason and told him how everything went and about Owen and like I predicted he said "he's my son for sure..."...must be a Cornelius male thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment